To Be Known By Our Service
To be known by our service. The work we do, practicing yoga and meditation, making important lifestyle choices has a greater goal that is to serve the community at large through useful and authentic ways. To achieve this goal we seek opportunities in Chicagoland and outside our local area to serve others without any thought for self.
Check in regularly to learn what we're planning and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call for information or to offer your skills, time and energy.
We instituted the Kenny Velez/Guru Kar Singh Memorial Scholarship Fund in 2009 to assist aspiring Kundalini Yoga teachers participate in the Level 1 Kundalini Yoga Teacher Training Course by providing needed financial support in meeting its tuition costs.
A key requirement of the Scholarship is post graduation 25 hours of Seva teaching yoga to a preselected under-served population.
Seva Projects in the past included:
- SRF is sponsoring an internship for a previously incarcerated yoga student who is also a student at the Illinois Center for Broadcasting.
- For over a year we have partnered with Beth and Terry Range Keily at Om on the Range to provide scores of yoga mats for under served communities including at youth risk and domestic violence shelters.
- October 2012 - to Present - Providing ongoing Yoga in Chairs! classes to seniors in various locations in the Chicagoland area including Oak Park Arms Senior Home, Weiss Hospital Senior Center, The Imperial Nursing Home. Continues to be well received with up to 30 participants at a time! Seniors express the practices have made a real impact in their lives. Click here for information.
- February 24, 2013 - Ronald McDonald House Chicago, "Oscar Party" for families of hospitalized children including snacks, children and adult activities.
- January 2013 - No cost on-going drop-in Yoga classes for previously incarcerated youth
- January 21, 2013 - Montessori School of Englewood - Martin Luther King Day Celebration, Our 15 volunteers helped facilitated Yoga for children, Children's Art Activities and supported classes on Urban Farming and actively participated in a Peace Circle.
- December, 2012 - Bipolar Depression Support Group - Presented Yogic practices that have shown to be helpful for those living with Bipolar Disorder and depression
- October 2012 - MS Support Group Forest Park, IL - Presented Yogic practices that have been shown helpful to reduce symptoms for those with MS.
- August 2012 Feed the Hungry - Englewood Neighborhood, Chicago - Partnered with I Grow Chicago to feed over 350 needy people with locally grown produce and provided yoga and story-telling activities for at risk youth. (gunshots were fired nearby during the afternoon, such is the life in that neighborhood.)
- Summer 2012 - I Grow Chicago - Teach yoga classes for at risk youth in Chicago's crime-ridden Englewood neighborhood as a part of their Summer program.
- August 2012 - Oak Creek, WI Sikh Temple - Provided Therapeutic Children's Yoga Activities as a part of the Team of Therapists helping the community deal with the tragedy they faced
- Nov. 25, 2011 - No More Left Overs! Special Post-Thanksgiving luncheon for families at Courtenay Language Arts Academy 1726 W. Berteau Ave Chicago, IL 60613. Partnered with the American Sikh Community has been sponsoring Thanksgiving meals since 1992 for thousands of people over the years. Even though it is in affluent Lake View, half a block from the Mayor's house, over 86% of the families live below poverty level.
- July 2011 - April 2012 - Scholarship Seva UCAN - Woman's Center, Prenatal Yoga to young pregnant woman.
- May 2010 - Snatam Kaur & GuruGanesha Singh Events - Paint the Fence
- April 2010 - Chicago Books To Women In Prison program - Helped gather books for incarcerated women in Illinois prisons.
- March 2010 - Peoples Church - 2 Li'l Fishes Lunch Program - Helped feed the homeless
- February 2010 - Breaking Bread at LaSalle Street Church - Helped feed the homeless
- January 2010 - Children's Yoga at The Chicago House
- December 2009 - Children's Memorial Hospital - Sponsored an Italian -style dinner for families of hospitalized children.
- October 2009 - North Park Village Nature Center - Another family oriented seva project we helped gather seed.
- September 2009 - Food For Folks Program - Helped feed the homeless
- May, June 2009 - Snatam Kaur Summer in Chicago 2009
- March, April and May 2009 - Spring Cleaning
- January 2009 - Operation Love From Home
Some wonderful quotes about Seva:
"Never hesitate to go to the aide of the unfortunate for fear of ingratitude."
- Leonidas Polemis
"Never say or do anything that would make a person feel bad about who they are or what they've done, just serve them."
- Yogi Bhajan
I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.
- Rabindranath Tagore
“Do something wonderful, people may imitate it.”
- Albert Schweitzer
“If you can't feed a hundred people, then just feed one.”
- Mother Teresa
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.
- Anne Frank
Service creates permanent love and friendship. Self-discipline creates grace. And the neutral mind creates wisdom. These are the rules of life.
- Yogi Bhajan 7/11/95